Staff - Student working on Laptop

Most Frequently Asked Questions

International Students

History of the University?

The University of Wales Trinity Saint David is a new University created by the merger of two of the oldest and well established Universities in Wales including:

  • The University of Wales Lampeter founded in 1822, making it the oldest University in England and Wales other than Oxford and Cambridge
  • Trinity University College Carmarthen founded in 1848
  • Swansea Metropolitan University which was formed from three colleges originally established between 1853 and 1895.

The University now has campuses in Lampeter, Carmarthen, Swansea, Cardiff and London and a learning Centre in Birmingham. The London campus was established in 2012 to meet the needs of international students who wish to live and study in a large cosmopolitan city and at the same time experience being part of a University with a unique history and ethos.

Where will I be studying?

You will study at the University’s campus two minutes’ walk from Oval underground station in South London (ten minutes from the City of London by tube). This area is famous for the nearby historic Oval cricket ground, home of Surrey County Cricket Club, where many important test matches have been played.

The campus is located in a large, modern section of the Kennington Park Business Centre, a complex of offices and workshops that is home to a wide range of businesses, and which includes a modern café/restaurant and a gym.  Nearby are local shops and Kennington Park, a large public park with many mature and historic trees as well as open areas for wildlife and biodiversity. It also includes sporting facilities, such as floodlit football pitches.

How does my programme compare to the programmes offered at the other campuses?

If you are studying for a BA or MBA at the London campus, you will be following a similar programme as students studying at the Wales' campuses. The assessment methods and standards are similar, You will cover a similar syllabus and study many of the same modules.

When should I apply? When do I need to pay my fees and what will happen if I can't take up my place after I have paid the fee?

The London campus has intakes three times each year, normally in February, June and October. We would suggest that you apply at least 4 months before your intended start date if you are making an application from outside the UK and that you aim to have provided us with all the documentation we need to make you an unconditional offer and issue you a CAS at least 8 weeks before your intended start.

For International applicants they are required to pay the full first year fees as deposit.  This deposit will need to be paid before we issue an academically unconditional offer. The University will not refund fees if you are yourself responsible for not being able to take up your place (eg. your visa application is rejected because you have provided false information or false documents to the UKVI.

What documents do I need to provide before you offer me a place and give me a CAS?

Documents to be submitted with your application

  • Legible copies of official certificates and transcripts of all your academic qualifications already completed (including all previous study in the UK, if applicable).
  • Copy of your current passport.
  • Statement of Purpose.
  • Academic Reference
  • A legible copy of your current UK visa (if applicable) and legible copies of all previous UK visa’s issued (if applicable).
  • Legible copies of all CAS statements previously issued for study in the UK (if applicable).

Documents to be provided once you have received your unconditional offer and for the University issue your CAS

  • A legible copy or copies of the bank statement(s) of alternative financial documentation you intend to use (in your Tier 4 visa application) to show you meet the required UKVI Tier 4 money / maintenance requirements. Further information on Tier 4 money/maintenance requirements is available on UKCISA.
  • A legible copy of your current, valid Tuberculosis (TB) test certificate (if applicable). Further information on Tuberculosis tests for visa applicants is available on the UK government website.

To be successful in my application to study with you, what are the key criteria you will be looking for?

We will be assessing whether you meet the academic criteria and English language requirements for the programme you are applying for (refer to "Programmes of Study" link ) but we will also be looking for evidence that you have a proper understanding of what is involved in the programme and how it will enable you to achieve your ambitions. We will be looking for evidence (in your personal statement and during your interview) that you have a broad interest in your proposed field of study, and a commitment to developing your relevant knowledge and skills base.

In what circumstances may my application to study with you be rejected? Will I be able to work during my studies?

We will reject your application if you do not meet our academic or English language requirements or if we detect any irregularities with your application. In particular, your application will be automatically rejected if we discover that it was made or signed by someone else on your behalf, any of the information you provide is false or any documents are forged or altered in any way, your personal statement is copied from the internet or written by someone else or the reference details you provide are fraudulent. We will also reject your application if you are for some reason not eligible for a visa to enter or remain in the UK.

Yes, as a student at a publically funded University you will be able to work. If you are studying on a Bachelors, Masters or Doctoral programme you can work up to 20 hours a week during term time and without any restrictions during your term breaks. If you are studying on a Foundation programme, you can work up to 10 hours per week during term time and without restrictions during your term breaks.

Can I bring my dependents?

If you are studying a level 7 or 8 programme that last over 12 months (such as our MBA, DBA or PhD programmes) you will be able to bring your dependents subject to them making a successful visa application. You should consult the UKVI website for details of their requirements in relation to Tier4 dependent visas. Please note that the only documentation you require from the University in relation to a visa application by a dependent is your own CAS statement.

If you are studying for a BA/BSc or on a Foundation Programme, UKVI regulations do not permit you to bring in dependents.

Who should I ask to provide a reference? What happens if I am unable to get my visa in time to register on my start date?

You will need to provide contact details for two referees - your referees should be people who know you in some official capacity - and at least one should be someone who taught you and who can comment on your academic abilities. Your second referee may also be an academic but could be an employer or line manager. You need to provide official contact details for both referees (private e-mail addresses or mobile phone numbers are not acceptable). You should not ask a relative or friend to act as a referee.

If you have not been able to get your visa in good time to travel to the UK for the registration week, you should contact us to discuss your situation. If you miss the start of your programme, you will normally need to defer to the next intake. If this happens it is important that you do not travel to the UK until a month before your new programme start date. If you enter the UK and are too late to register for your programme, we will have to inform the UKVI of this and your visa will be cancelled with immediate effect.

What are the other students like and where do they come from? How much will it cost me to live in London during my studies?

The UWTSD London campus attracts ambitious students from all over the world. Since June 2013, we have offered a range of programmes from foundation level through to doctoral level

(PhD and DBA) so your fellow students will come from a variety of backgrounds and with a wide range of experience. You will meet students with very different backgrounds to yourself as well as potentially finding other students from your home country. London is home to around 400,000 students of whom around a quarter are International Students, so you will have opportunities to interact with and learn from students from many cultures studying at other Universities as well as your fellow students at UWTSD.

The cost of living in London and particularly the cost of accommodation is high in comparison to many other cities. You will find some basic information on the UKCISA website. 

UKCISA homepage and UKCISA guidance